Skip to main content
I AM > A Visitor

A Visitor

A visitor is a person who comes from outside of Canada to visit as a tourist or for business. This is for a predetermined period of time. As a visitor to Ontario, you may not be entitled to public health care coverage. If you are living with HIV and need advice about accessing medical care, please visit the HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario (HALCO).

Whether or not you are living with HIV, you can go to a hospital emergency room if you need urgent medical care. Hospitals are required to admit you if your life is in danger. If you do not have an Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) card, you will be billed for hospital services provided.

You can also contact the AIDS and Sexual Health InfoLine to speak to a counsellor or find an AIDS service organization (ASO) near you. For information in English and many other languages call: 416-392-2437 or 1-800-668-2437 (toll-free in Ontario),  and for French call: 1-800-267-7432 (toll-free in Ontario).  The InfoLine is free and anonymous.

If you’re located in Ontario, you can dial 211 on your phone or visit 211 Ontario to find an ASO and other HIV/AIDS programs in your city or town. Use your location to find services near you.

You can also visit HIV 411 and search for an ASO using your postal code, or the name of your city or town.